Friday, January 15, 2010

FRESH YEAR, FRESH START, Week 2 and Scripture Memory



This past week, with Kristi and the others who are doing Fresh Year, Fresh Start, was about not only dedicating 2010 to God, but also to our Husbands, by following God's plan for marriage. Since that was the emphasis for this past week, it led me to change from the short verse I had chosen to post for scripture memory today, to


Ephesians 5:22-24, 33bNIV
Wives, submit to your husbands,
as to the Lord.
For the husband is the head of the wife
as Christ is the head of the church,
his body, of which he is the Savior.
Now as the church submits to Christ,
so also wives should submit to their husbands
in everything.
. . .and the wife must respect her husband.
I have been "proud" of the fact that I used the phrase, "I will submit to you." in my wedding vows, and for the most part, I am submissive. Well, as some who have written wonderful posts this past week and on the McLinky for this weekend's Fresh Year, Fresh Start, have said, if I say "for the most part", then I'm not really being submissive.
I am submissive. . .I just still, after over 27 years of marriage, have to work on my attitude and my tone of voice. I submit, but I need to continue to work on submitting more lovingly.
I do respect my husband very much, but I need to continue to work on giving and showing him that respect daily in EVERYTHING and EVERY WAY.
After over 27 years of marriage, I need to memorize Ephesians 5:22-24 and 33b and recite them to my self EVERYDAY!
Now, after leaving me an encouraging comment, go over to read what Kristi and others have written today and this past week, and continue to go back next week to read posts about dedicating the year to being better parents for our children.


11 comments:

  1. Dedicating ourselves to God first and then to our husbands is a great way to start off the new year.
    Blessings to you in this new year.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you...sometimes it's hard to remember to submit & respect my husband in a LOVING way. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! Submission is always challenging, but when we do things God's way we get God's results. I totally understand what you mean about TONE. You stepped right on my toes with that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful post, and very true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an important thing to learn and because it is ordered of the LORD has great results, as does following all the instructions given in His WORD. It is the only way to have a truly Godly marriage, because it is Godly.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love the end of this passage where husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I remarried just over three years ago I remember my mother very vividly telling me "however you start your marriage out, is how it will always be". No truer words were said. I vowed to take God first, my husband second. To start each day the way the two of them would want me to. To live my life for both. Sometimes I admit it is somewhat hard to do on the part of submitting to my husband, but our marriage is built on trust. I know my husband would never do anything to me or the family to lose that trust. So I follow him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being submissive goes against our human natures and is a decision we must make everyday. It is not always easy, but always worth it. Our attitudes towards this is the MOST important thing. If we just "do it" without the love in our hearts, we haven't done it at all. This sounds like a WONDERFUL study and I am going to scoot over and check it out now. Have a wonderful day and may the Lord bless your efforts as you seek to have a Christ centered beautiful marriage. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need to look at Christ as a married couple first and everything else will come to place, sometimes this is easier said than done. This is a great scripture thank-you for sharing it today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to pray daily and really work at being submissive. I don't enjoy it. Doylene

    ReplyDelete