Saturday, June 12, 2010

FOREVER FAMILY-Part 2-Our Grandmas-and Part 3-Salvation

Part 2

OUR GRANDMAS


I do have some pictures of my "Grandma Vi", my Dad's Mom, somewhere, and his step-mom, "Grandma Jewell" was important to me, too, but I can't find any pictures of them, right now. Top left is my husband Jeff with his Mom and her Mom,(to all of us) "Grandma Davis" with our 17 year old, when he was a baby.

Top right is Josh, our 24 year old, with Jeff's (and all of our) "Grandma Hammock", at her sewing machine

Bottom picture is Kalyn-2nd birthday with my (and all of our) "Grandma Orr", (like Naomi in ways-"Call me Bitter", but she has a party hat on in this picture!)

Mine and Jeff's grandparents have all passed away now, but we were very fortunate to have most of them, as long as we did.

All of our Grandmas were very strong women! The one who had the most influence on me was my Grandma Orr. She reminded me a lot of Naomi. She was a widow for 30 years after my Grandpa Orr passed away, and she had to bury 4 of her 5 children, all except my Mom. She was a little bitter at times, but she was very strong, living to be over 90 years old. She never quit loving God, the church and her family. She was also a Proverbs 31 Woman. She was a wonderful seamstress and cook, as were both of Jeff's Grandmas. I don't do things as good as any of our Grandmas, but I do try to follow their examples in ways that I can.

Part 3


The Most Important Thing


to Any Family:


SALVATION





Josh with his "Grandpa Ray"

before his baptism,

celebrating his Spiritual Birthday


"For God so loved the world,

that He sent his only, begotten Son,

so that anyone who believes in Him,

should not perish,

but have everlasting life."

John 3:16

I always say how blessed I am, but by no means do I mean that our family is perfect, or that we have raised our kids perfectly. We have gone through many struggles in the past and made some terrible mistakes, and continue to have personal struggles daily. Our youngest came home from a Christian Leadership camp last night telling us about the stories he heard from the other teenagers of broken homes. He told us that he was thankful for how blessed he has been, but then he began to tell us how he felt, that in the past, sometimes maybe we didn't spend enough time together, and maybe we were just going through the motions of going to church, that he wished we had more consistent family devotion time together. That was very difficult for us to hear. Going to church was never a choice for our kids. We didn't push it on them, but we did raise them to serve the Lord.

It's difficult to hear, because we can't go back and change his memories of how it was in the past. We've just got to continue to listen to him, and when he wants to spend time with us, stop what we are doing, and spend time with him! We are not going to have him at home much longer.

I am thankful that all of our children are following Christ. I pray that I can be the best Mom possible to each one of them.




If you didn't come here from Spiritual Sundays, go here!
You will be so blessed, and you can link up your own post, too.
Thank you so much, Charlotte and Ginger for hosting Spiritual Sundays
and to all the others who link up such great heartfelt, encouraging posts!
I pray God's blessings on all of you!

13 comments:

  1. Family is so important and such a blessing. This is a lovely tribute to yours. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wished I had known my grandmothers! Both were already gone when I was very small. It always seems a very important part of my life was missing. What a blessing to have yours!!!! and for so long! Be blessed this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a blessing! Thank-you for sharing your heart today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Jewish...didn't grow up in the church. We went through some really tough stuff but my grandmother...make a difference. thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff here. Thanks for sharing and blessing our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The family is the foundation of God's love in each one of our lives no matter how large or small our own family may be. Thanks for sharing such a perfect post today. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy thank you for sharing a bit of your family. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have continued the Christian heritage and legacy that your Grandmothers began. Your family is beautiful and your children are so blessed to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have loved these posts! They are just beautiful!! I am very close to my grandmother. I am so lucky because she is still living! She's buried two of her five children one of which was my mother back in 2002. She is an incredibly strong woman!!

    I was under the impression you were not going to keep your teaching blog anymore, that's why I stopped following. Please know it was NOTHING personal and if I am wrong I will follow again for sure!!

    :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our children are with us for such a short time. We don't realize it sometimes until they are on their own and we wonder where the time went. Sounds to me like you are doing a good job raising your family. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very lovely post and your love for family is what makes the world go round. You are already a good mom and a blessing to your children and family.
    Blessings to all of you, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete